Medication Therapy Management Program
What is the Medication Therapy Management Program (MTMP)?
The Medication Therapy Management Program (MTMP) is a service for members with multiple health conditions and who take multiple medicines. The MTMP helps you and your doctor make sure that your medicines are working to improve your health.
To qualify for the MTMP, you must be eligible. Please see below for those details. If you qualify, you will be auto-enrolled into the program and the service is provided at no additional cost to you. You may choose not to participate in the program, but it is recommended that you make use of this free service. The MTMP is not considered a part of the plan’s benefit.
Who is eligible for the MTMP?
You may qualify for the MTMP if:
1. You have three or more chronic health problems. These may include:
- Chronic Heart Failure (CHF)
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
- End-Stage Renal Disease (ESRD)
- High blood fat levels
- High blood pressure
2. You take seven or more chronic medicines covered by Medicare Part D
3. You spend $3,967 or more per year on Part D covered drugs
How does the MTMP help you?
If you qualify for the MTMP, you will be contacted and have the chance to speak with a highly trained pharmacist, a pharmacist intern who is under the direct guidance of a pharmacist, or other qualified personnel. During that call, they will complete a comprehensive medication review (CMR) of your medicines and talk with you about:
- Any questions or concerns about your prescription or over-the-counter medicines, such as drug safety and cost
- Better understanding your medicines and how to take them
- How to get the most benefit from your medicines
What will you get?
If you qualify for the MTMP, you will get:
- Welcome letter that tells you how to get started.
- Full medication review
- You will have the chance to review your medicines with a highly-trained pharmacist, a pharmacist intern under the direct guidance of a pharmacist, or other qualified personnel each year. This review will take about 20-30 minutes. During this call any issues with your medicines will be discussed. The call can be scheduled at a convenient time for you.
- After you complete the full medication review, a summary is mailed to you within 14 days. The summary includes a medication action plan with space for you to take notes or write down any follow-up questions.
- You also will be mailed a personal medication list that lists all of the medicines that you take and the reasons why you take them. (sample Personal Medication List)
- Referral to Case Management if needed
- Ongoing targeted medication reviews
- At least once every 3 months, your medicines will be reviewed and you or your doctor will be contacted if there are any changes in your medicines you should think about.
- You may get a letter or a phone call for this review.
How can I learn more about the MTMP?
For information about the MTMP or to see if you qualify, you can call Michigan Complete Health (MMP) Member Services at 1-844-239-7387. Hours are from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., seven days a week. TTY users call 711. On weekends and on state or federal holidays, you may be asked to leave a message. Your call will be returned within the next business day. Member Services is prepared to answer questions about the MTMP.